Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Carmen Rizzo


We've known the talented Carmen Rizzo for so long, I'm not even sure how we first met. I believe it was when he produced Ekova's album Space Lullabies & Other Fantasmagore

Carmen's credits as a producer, programmer and musician include working with Seal, Coldplay, Paul Oakenfold, Alanis Morissette and of course Niyaz on our label. Carmen is currently working on a new project called Lal Meri to be unveiled in 2009 - in the meantime he gave us this update on his many summer activities:

"The summer has been very busy for me. Besides being a father of 3, a baseball player on the weekends, the passion for gardening and having a studio in Hollywood, I have the luxury of making music for a living. Even though it is not easy, I know how lucky I am . I am in the band Niyaz which I am a co founder of which we have a new album out called Nine Heavens (debuting #1 on itunes World chart as well as #1 Radio Europe), and as well have another side project called Lal Meri which we just signed with Six Degrees. The album is almost done, it’s slated for a 2009 release. We had the honor of opening up for fellow label mates The Real Tuesday Weld downtown Los Angeles at Grand Performances. The summer has also been filled with me releasing my second solo album “Ornament of an imposter” on my own label Electrofone which was a challenge to put it out myself, but has proved to be hard work but very rewarding, (debuted # 13 on the KCRW album chart, # 37 Itunes Electronic chart and currently #19 on the CMJ RPM chart.) It has some guest vocalist by Jem & Kate Havnevik. Besides making music as an artist I produce and remix music for other people. In the bizarre climate the music business is going through I am forced to plant seeds all over the forest and hope something will harvest to continue to make a living. I scored my first film last year for Michael Apted “The power of the game” and just finished scoring my first video game The Agency for Sony (2009) with Gerard Marino (we partnered) as well as staring in a HBO music show called The Song Story, which takes the journey of a record producer (me) discovering un signed tiled through the web and exploring the process of making a record etc. It’s not a reality show, more a story telling documentary style show. Still waiting to see where it ends up, HBO, Showtime etc. I was told there trying for network TV. Fingers crossed. The summer has been exciting and I have a lot to be thankful for...now time to prepare for some solo shows coming up...

No comments: